Wilson Elementary School Community Council
October 12, 2017
Attended: Michelle Jensen, Susan Woolley, Amy Cox, Stephani Dickson, Jenny Johnson, Katie Harris, Sue Sorensen, Liz Halaufia, Jennifer Beach. Absent: Bill Bradford
Jenny Johnson reviewed what the School Board is responsible for in training the SCC.
LCSD Mission Statement: Ensure ALL students leave our schools ready to create a positive future
Duties of the Board:
In charge of general direction of the school district.
In charge of the Superintendent.
Adopt and in charge of policies.
Implement district plan.
SIPs need to be submitted to Board, approved, and then sent to the state.
Read and approve SIP.
Board makes sure they are in compliance.
Rough draft due around the middle of March. Encourage amendments throughout the year. This is a working document. It is ok to change it periodically throughout the year.
May 15 is when final plan needs to be submitted to the state.
Introductions: (2 min.) Michelle Jensen
Review and Approve Minutes from Previous Meeting: (5 min.) Amy Cox motioned and Susan Woolley seconded approval of minutes. Approved unanimously.
Business Items (30 min.) Sue
- State Community Council e-mail
Vote on bylaws - Liz Halaufia motioned to approve SCC Bylaws, Katie Harris seconded. Approved unanimously.
- Fall data – see notes from meeting provided by Sue.
- Sage data – Wilson school is far above district and state averages in LA, math and science on the SAGE results. Though DIBELS scores have gone down in the last three years in the composite scores, comprehension scores in DAZE are up.
- How school grade is configured. 62% growth at Wilson, which is great growth. Grade is a B.
- DIBELS has added blue section – “above benchmark”. We made great growth by reducing red and increasing green/blue.
- Trustlands budget update – (See budget sheet from last year)
This year - $49,000 to spend (See budget sheet for this year)
- SEP Parent night computer lab training for parents – 3-6 Monday and Tuesday night during SEP. Parents will be trained on AR, Reflex math, Scootpad and Imagine Learning.
- Sue would like us to approve a budget for treats for the kids and adults, as well as pay aides help man the computer lab during that time. (Amy Cox motioned and Michelle Jensen seconded approval. Unanimously approved to use parent involvement money for treats and aides.)
- Safety in front of school- High School drivers – late drivers are driving through the stake center parking lot and speeding past the school so they don’t have to go through the 20 MPH school zone. Liz is going to call a police officer to see if they can set up a presence for the next little while to prevent problems.
- Boundary discussion: Boundary changes are needed to happen by next fall. There are many new subdivisions being added throughout the district. Input is needed by patrons of the district to determine where the best boundary changes are happening. Please encourage people to come to meetings throughout the district. The Board is working on a social media campaign to try and share all of the positive things about LCSD.
Debrief/ New Business (5 mins) Michelle
Notice: *All meetings will begin on time and the schedule will be kept
*If you have items you would like to add to the agenda please e-mail suggestions to Sue Sorenson: email@example.com
Meeting adjourned at 4:15.
Next meeting will be November 9 from 3:00-4:00.
Veteran’s Day program will be Patriots and Pie.